A RED LETTER DAY!

 

25/09/2024 

I had gone shopping with Ayye (Mom). After exploring a wide range of collections for a good 4 hours, we were still on the hunt for good fits. Nothing caught our eye. At every interval, I saw my mother stepping away from me in order to attend some calls. Initially, I ignored it with the assumption that she might have stepped out with the view of not intruding on others' shopping experience at the place. Eventually, I was convinced something was cooking. As far as the shopping was concerned, we were about to give up. As a last ray of hope, we collectively decided to check out one last outlet. That was not merely a ray but turned out to be our lucky streak. We heaved a sigh of relief as we hadn’t wasted our time. Cut to night. I was engaged in my usual calls with homies. My phone started buzzing. It was Jhanvi on the other side. I promised her I would call back after ending the ongoing call. Never did I realize that she was playing hide & seek with me at home. I was not even allowed to step into my room. It was 10 minutes shy of 12:00 A.M., and I was taken to my room.

 26/09/2024 

As I entered, I was bolted up from the blue. There was a bento cake and a beautiful bouquet waiting for me. Jhanvi guided me to the room carrying a huge box that was probably bigger than both of us. I blew out the candle and cut the cake while everyone around sang 'Happy birthday to you..'. Jhanvi then vouchsafed all the 20 gifts. My excitement was equal to that of a 5-year-old child. She would have at least spent a week’s time planning and breaking the bank for this beautiful surprise. I unwrapped all the gifts, admiring the underlying personalized touch in each of them. To be fair, when Jhanvi is around, I can never be short of fun, laughter, baseless jokes, and most importantly, pictures. She clicked several pictures of me with the gifts, cake, decor, etc. Honestly, gifts were merely insignificant compared to her urge to make someone feel special. That magnanimous quality of hers is priceless. She is not just another friend but family. It’s very hard to comprehend such bonds with tags; words by themselves don’t weigh equal to such inexplicable emotions for us to limit them with a tag. Seldom do you find people who feel contented when you are happy while others just bother about themselves. Jhanvi ensures each significant moment of mine is documented. Sometimes, I feel like that kid forced by parents to stand in front of any figurine, monument, temple, garden, etc., holding a pose to be regretted and trolled for life. But when I realize that the picture was not just a random shot but a memory, I just feel grateful to my shutterbug. 

The next morning, my Mattiye (granny) decided not to allow me to sleep. She started spam calling me at 5:30 A.M. and didn’t give up until I answered it around 6:00 A.M. She had her quota of merrymaking in waking me up so soon, I guess. Jhanvi left early that morning. I left for college. During our break, we friends were hanging out. Deepak and Siddharth didn’t give me very great vibes. For context, Deepak is a very dear friend of mine; Siddharth, on the other hand, is a brand new friend. So, they claimed to have very important task to complete and left. We returned to class. Our lecture commenced. In a short while, there was a knock on the door. Siddharth, as twitchy as a cat, peeped into the class and said something which I’m sure he didn’t understand himself. The lecturer asked him to wait until the next hour. Up next was Deepak, who walked into the class telling "We have an announcement," Siddharth following him with a bundle of nerves. They walked straight to me, presented a gift, and wished me. Then they headed towards the podium and finally went on with their announcement, which was "Today is Thursday, tomorrow is Friday, come to college." Saying so, both of them exited at full pelt with their hearts in their mouths, resembling cats on hot bricks. But the whole gesture was wholesome, processing which I was almost in tears. The incident was so filmy. I wonder how the two of them mustered up the courage to intrude on an ongoing lecture. There were all possibilities of getting suspended from the university for a short period, as the incident could also be seen as a transgression of classroom etiquette. They feared nothing; all that bothered them was to do something special for me. Again, a selfless bond. Some also looked at it as humbuggery, while others were awe-struck and I was truly touched. I felt grateful & happy from within. Again, it is not the gift that made me go gaga, but just their intention which was impressive. 

When Deepak sets his sights on something, he dives in with unwavering commitment, giving it his all—100% effort, no less. However, if his heart isn’t in it, he’s equally resolute in his disinterest, putting forth a complete 0% effort. This all-or-nothing attitude defines him. But when it comes to his closed circle; he acts without hesitation, always ready to support those he cares about. Watching his face flush with shades of red no matter what- is a guilty pleasure of me and Jhanvi. Then there’s Siddharth, who exudes a laid-back charm. Although I haven’t had the chance to get to know him well yet, he radiates a genuine concern for others, making him a truly admirable person. Having such true friends around is by itself a cosmic gift. No matter how much ever they roast you, they won't let you down when a third person tries to do the same. 

Fast forward to the evening party with family, where the atmosphere was brimming with love and joy. This year, everyone came together, united in their decision to celebrate me in the most heartfelt way possible. Only our closest family friends and cherished childhood buddies were invited, creating an intimate gathering filled with warmth. Jayaram Uncle generously offered the venue, pouring his heart into the arrangements as if I were his own daughter, and he graced the occasion with his presence. Shridhar Uncle, ever the thoughtful soul, had his own delightful surprises up his sleeve, adding an extra layer of joy to the festivities. Nikhil and Harsha also made their remarkable presence felt, contributing to the vibrant spirit of the evening.

I am profoundly grateful for Ayye, Dadda (Dad), HPD, Chethu, Dheeraj, Jayarama Uncle, Harsha, Nikhil, Shreyas, Anuraag, Shridhar Uncle and Aunty, Jhanvi, Deepak, Siddharth, Bhoomi, Harinath Uncle and Aunty, and everyone else who played a part in making my birthday a truly special day. Their love and support have woven a tapestry of cherished memories that I will hold dear for years to come. Celebrating with them not only filled my heart with joy but also reinforced the bonds we share, reminding me that these relationships are the true treasures of life.

A heartfelt thank you to my parents for their unwavering love and guidance, which has been the cornerstone of my journey. Your thoughtful gestures and presence mean the world to me, and I am grateful to have you all by my side as I navigate this beautiful journey of life.

A small photodump is attached below 


                   JHANVI'S 12 AM SURPRISE 


                       DEEPAK AND SIDDHARTH

                                   HOMIES


                            SHRIDHAR UNCLE 

                             JHANVI'S GIFTS


JAYARAM UNCLE, FOUNDER - GREEN PATH ORGANIC STATE

Aapti Patwardhan

Comments

Popular Posts